Every worker in Visalia has protections under California law, and our California Employment Lawyers believe that those rights should be strongly advocated for. No matter what aspect of the law-unpaid wages, wrongful termination, discrimination, breach of contract-our team of experienced, dedicated California employment and labor lawyers will be there to stand up for your rights.
Maison Law Offers Free Consultations for Visalia Workers
Attorney Martin Gasparian founded Maison Law with the goal of complete client-satisfaction in mind, and our team strives for that goal every day. If you would like to learn more about our firm and its approach to employment law, contact us for a free consultation.
What Are The Most Common Occupations in Visalia?
Our city of Visalia is known statewide as one of the more scenic and majestic areas of California. Its placement in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada serves as the gateway to the Sequoia National Forest. With its reputation as a destination for travelers and locals, along with its proximity to other vital parts of California’s economy, Visalia has a wide range of different industries and workers.According to data from the National Bureau of Labor and Statistics, of the over 149,000 workers in Visalia, the most common occupations are in the following industries:
- Transportation and Moving
- Office and Administration
- Food Service
With such a vast array of industries, there are a multitude of occupations that ply their craft in Visalia on a daily basis. What this also means is there are a number of different employers in Visalia that are responsible for ensuring that these workers have the resources they need to make positive contributions to the business. Of these, a safe work environment, free of harassment, discrimination, and unfair pay practices is among the most important. While California law protects every worker in Visalia from violations, not every employer in the city takes this responsibility seriously.
How Can My Employer Break the Law in Visalia?
There are a number of different ways your employer can violate your workplace rights. Among the most common are the following:
- Discriminating against you because of a protected characteristic.
- Retaliating against you for engaging in a protected activity.
- Retaliating against you for asking for medical, family, or pregnancy leave.
- Retaliating against you because of your military or veteran status.
- Wrongfully terminating you, demoting you, or cutting your pay in retaliation.
- Subjecting you to harassment or a hostile work environment.
- Breaching the terms and conditions of your employment contract.
- Not paying you minimum wage or overtime.
- Not giving you your final paycheck on time after terminating you.
- Not providing you with lunch and rest breaks.
- Not providing you with workers’ compensation or other benefits.
- Illegally recording you in the workplace.
As you can see, there is an almost endless combination of unlawful actions your employer can take against you in the workplace. The various legal protections that you have as an employee in California are a great starting point for building a strong case for damages against your employer, but there are some other things you will need to do also.
How Can Our Visalia Employment Lawyers Help You?
First and foremost, the goal of our team of lawyers is to make you feel safe and heard. We know that when your employer discriminates against you or subjects you to a hostile work environment, it can be devastating to not only your financial health, but your mental health. Our team at Maison Law is proud to stand with you as you work to hold your employer accountable for their illegality. Among are other services, we provide you with the following top-notch legal services once you sign on as a client:
- Explanation of your legal rights and options – One of the most beneficial services our team provides is explaining your legal rights and options to you. This includes explaining the applicable California laws that apply to your case and best options available for you moving forward. We can also provide you with an accounting of any claims you may have, as well as a fairly accurate accounting of any damages and compensation you may receive. Our team of experienced lawyers know how to best position your case to obtain full and fair compensation.
- Ensure compliance with the law – Another service we provide is expert legal guidance. This includes what you need to do to ensure that you are remaining compliant with California’s various laws. We can make sure that, in gathering evidence for your claim, you don’t violate one of the workplace privacy laws in your own right. This could open you up to a counterclaim and won’t allow you to provide the evidence, even if it unequivocally proves your employer violated your rights.
- Help you file administrative complaints – In most cases, filing a claim with one of California’s various administrative agencies before pursuing a civil lawsuit is fairly standard. These agencies-usually the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (FEHA) or the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE)-are responsible for enforcing California’s anti-discrimination and unfair wage or hour practice laws. They have power to investigate any claim by issuing subpoenas for documents and conducting workplace reviews and inspections. They also set the table for any civil lawsuit by issuing orders sentencing illegal practices and allowing you to use any evidence they obtain in your lawsuit.
- Litigation – Probably the most important part of our services to clients is actually representing them in a lawsuit. Our team takes pride in its client-specific approach to every case, and that includes taking care of any litigation-related responsibilities. We make sure your complaint is filed within the statute of limitations, or legal deadline, and also make sure that we have all of the initial evidence needed to initiate your case in court. Once filed, we handle all court deadlines, including drafting motions, retaining expert witnesses, and deposing key personnel of your employer. Throughout our years of service, here are some of the legal claims we have assisted our clients with:
- Wage and Hour Claims – When you have not received compensation to which you are entitled under California law, we will file a wage and hour lawsuit for you. Your employer has a legal obligation to pay you a minimum wage, overtime pay, pay you immediately upon terminating you, and other various wage and hour responsibilities.These types of claims can also arise if your employer misclassifies you in an attempt to get around these laws.
- Employment Discrimination Claims – Discrimination lawsuits occur when your employer takes an adverse employment action against you based on your protected status. The California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability, and a variety of other characteristics. When your employer fires you, demotes you, doesn’t hire you, or otherwise retaliates against you because of these factors, or does so because you were reporting their unlawful conduct to authorities, you can file a discrimination or wrongful termination lawsuit against them.
- Breach of Contract Claims – When your employer fails to uphold the terms and conditions (pay, work conditions, schedules, etc.) of your employment, they will be in breach of the employment contract and you can file suit against them. Every employer-employee relationship in California operates under a contract, whether it is written or implied.
- Privacy Violation Claims – Every California employee has a right to privacy in the workplace. This means your employer can’t illegally videotape or record you in areas where you have an expectation of privacy, and also cannot gather or use your personal information, such as medical records, social security number, or criminal history against you. When they do, we will help you file a violation of privacy claim against them.
What Can I Gain In a Lawsuit Against My Employer?
The short answer is compensation. Our team of experienced, knowledgeable California employment lawyers know how to get the most out of our clients’ cases. Through the gathering and presentation of evidence, calculation of damages, and overall working of your case, our team can set you up to recover the following from a lawsuit against your employer:
- Lost wages, including unpaid wages
- Back pay
- Liquidated damages
- Punitive damages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of dignity or enjoyment of life
The other, arguably more consequential outcome of a lawsuit against your employer is holding them accountable and shining a spotlight on their illegal behavior. Our team can help you make sure that your claims are valid, and that everyone will be able to see just how your employer treated not only you, but their other employees. Coming forward against your employer takes a great deal of fortitude, but our team will be behind you every step of the way.
Contact a Visalia Employment Lawyer:
At Maison Law, our Visalia employment lawyers know how difficult an employment law case can be. When your employer fails to live up to their end of the bargain regarding the law, we will be there to help you hold them accountable and retrieve compensation and dignity you had taken away from you. If you would like to set up a free consultation to find out how we can help you, contact us today.